Pages

Tuesday, April 17

Excite?

The Pie will ask me, "Are you getting excited about your trip to (some destination) coming up in (amount of time in days/weeks)?

I stare into space.  Wheels in my head that might have come to a grinding halt earlier start groaning into motion again.  I drift off into my own little world...

"Meh."

I'd like to think that I can live pretty minimally.   I've been doing "packless PMBAR" for years now, a pure act of efficient planning.  It's pretty rare that more than a handful of people will show up to the start without a hydration pack or a bike converted into rolling luggage.  Kitchen sink carrying fools.  I can be very good at cutting the excess fat.

Yet as I stare at shelves and drawers of gloves, tiny hats, glasses, knee and arm warmers, kits, jackets, tools, bits and bobbles, I am paralyzed.

I think one pair of gloves for five or so days of riding might do the trick, but I know two would be better.  If two is better, wouldn't three be ideal?  Same with tiny hats.  Same with everything.

On the last Mancation we lost thirty minutes in Durango looking for a new toothbrush.  Forgotten clutch items equal lost down time.  Trbl.

Things might be sparse on here all week. I did get some stuff from Topeak to play with recently that's worth mentioning, but everything is going to take a backseat to my getting ready to leave town.

That also includes the fact that my Vertigo Meatplow V.7 has to be PMBAR-ready before I get on an airplane on Saturday.  I'll be back late on the following Friday, and I'll need to have the bike rolling in its best form.  Just yesterday, I heard the drive train complaining only to discover that those last laps at the 6 Hours of Warrior Creek were not kind to my chain (ded)... and then the new chain didn't mesh well with the old cog... and mebbe also the ring?

Last night, I finally installed the Santa Cruz 780 flat bars (yeth, 780).  They shoulda been on there already, but I thought (stupidly) Bike Source would just have a new rear brake line in stock instead of checking to make sure.  So, new drooper cable and housing, brake line, bars and ESI grips.

At least that's done.

All that, and I'm not sure that it's a great idea to put way wider bars on that I might ride once or twice before PMBAR in order to dial in the fit (I also have a 20mm shorter stem at my disposal if need be).

Arrrgh.

So am I excite?

Yeth?

No comments: